Friday 23 August 2013

Finding comfort

It was wonderful having people round to pray with me and anoint me with oil for healing on Wednesday night. Spiritually it seemed very significant to have people from all three local churches involved - St Michael's, St Andrew's and Wraysbury Baptist. There's a very special power and blessing released when God's people come together in unity. It was a lovely time in God's presence together, and it felt so good to be prayed for and loved in this special way.

So to the $64,000 question - am I better? Well, yes - a bit. Sorry, not exactly an earth-shaking answer I know. But the pain is definitely less than it was, so I am taking fewer painkillers and I'm feeling less foggy as a result. I can sit up for a bit longer, though the chiro says sitting is not good for me and I should avoid it as much as possible. Standing and walking are still pretty rough though.

So for now it seems I have to stay in the Lord's treatment room a little bit longer: "Come unto me and rest." I've still got lessons to learn about letting go and letting God, the value of doing as well as the value of being, about my worth not being dependent on my activity and achievements.

Thank you everyone who is praying at home as well as those who came round - your prayers are greatly appreciated too. Thank you everyone who has e-mailed in or rung up with words of comfort. You are a real encouragement, especially those who have been there and know what it's like: it's reassuring to know that I'm not going to be stuck like this forever! 2 Corinthians 1 v.3-4 says,

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any kind of trouble with the same comfort we ourselves have received from God.

So thank you for comforting me! And I will try to remember what it was like when I go round visiting people who are housebound or bedridden. It's easy to take their troubles for granted and forget how frustrating and hopeless it all feels. I hope I will remember what this felt like and be of a more real and less glib encouragement to them. The Lord will make a decent vicar of me yet!

1 comment:

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

The Wraysbury /Horton church trilogy, isn't it lovely: the churches are very different but work so well together. If only it was like that on a wider scale!